This is a bid of 2NT in response to partner’s 1H or 1S opening. However note that any intervention (including Dbl) switches this convention off so in those circumstances, a 2NT bid reverts to its natural meaning (10-12 balanced and denying any support). It is unconditionally game-forcing and promises;
- Primary (i.e. 4+ card) support.
- Game values or better.
- Possible slam interest.
- 4H - no slam interest. Non-forcing.
- 3H - slam interest and extra heart length i.e. 6+. Forcing.
- 3NT - slam interest and exactly 5 hearts. Forcing.
- 3C/3D/3S - slam interest with a feature (singleton or void) in the bid suit. Forcing.
- 4C/4D/4S - A high quality (2 top honours) 5 card suit. By definition, opener also has a feature since he can only be 5521 or 5530 but priority is given to showing the high quality suit. Slam is highly likely.
- Responder may sign off in 4H if he has nothing better to say. Any other bid is control-showing or ace-asking.
Index of Conventions
Table of Contents